Saturday, February 14, 2015

My business suit history and goals

A decade ago, I bought myself my first business suits for real world job interviews. With limited shopping experience, my college friend and I went to "Petite Sophisticate", after hearing about their major closeout sale because they were shutting down forever. I scored this navy long skirt suit in size 0 petite. At the time, I had no clue about style or fit. Taking this out of storage, and trying it on again with these photos below, I can't believe young 20-something me wore this to all my interviews. The Petite Sophisticate suit was definitely meant for the "mature" woman. Luckily, I work in a career field where looks don't matter too much...
      
And I also bought a black pant suit from the women's petite section at JCPenney. Again, I purchased these on super clearance a decade ago, wearing size 6P jacket and 4P pants (the smallest sizes left on sale at the time). 

Wow, I did not realize everything is so loose! I've been saving both these suits in careful storage like prized processions in case I ever leave my current job of 7+ years, and need to wear a full suit for new career opportunities. Good thing I decided to try them on again...looks like I need to update my suit collection (and I'm getting more excited about suits than pretty dresses as I'm getting older for some reason, haha!)

Thus, a new wardrobe goal in replacing the above suits with more flattering styles...begins at Express (brings back memories of Extra Petite's review here and To Brighten My Day's versatile use of her suit pieces.)

I hardly ever shop at Express because I feel their style is too "sexy" for me, but my local outlet mall recently opened an Express store and I went in to check it out. As destiny would have it, this grey houndstooth suit caught my attention, and on clearance nonetheless (jacket size 0 ~$30, Editor flare pants size 0S ~$20).  Machine-washable, slim fit, and major sale price...of course I bought it. 

As expected, the sleeves and pant legs are too long. I took it to my favorite tailor place and they charged me $40 total to shorten the sleeves and pant length. Before and after pictures below...
 
The quality of the fabric is not as smooth and durable like my old suits, but the fit is better. The only qualm I have is the little peep-opening at the belly when the fitted jacket is buttoned. It might be the normal style for women (since that's how the jacket looks on the sexy models)...but not sure if that's appropriate for important business functions (as I noticed men's suits hardly ever show the pant waist or belt buckle when the jacket is buttoned). Anyone have any opinions on this? 

Eh, I will continue to be on the lookout for more suits...particularly "pant" suits.

Some petite-friendly ideas...
The Limited (as per Easy Petite Looks)
Banana Republic (as per Quest for Fashion Sense)
Ann Taylor (as per Petite Early Morning Style)
Theory (as per Professionally Petite)
(more on Extra Petite)

No comments: